13 Aug Steps for a Florida Teenager to get their Driver’s License.
Teenagers in Florida can begin the process of getting a driver’s license at 15 with your Learner’s Permit. This is what you need to do for that process.
- Everyone must take the TLSAE Course or the Drug and Alcohol Course.
- Study for the Learner’s Permit Exam using the Florida Driver’s Handbook
- Highly recommend using a practice test before doing the real test.
- Teens can take the Official Florida Learner’s Permit Exam online.
- Upon passing the Exam it is now necessary to make an appointment at the DMV. You must have your parent or guardian go with you and bring your documents. You will also need to take a hearing and vision test. If all that goes well you will then have your Learner’s Permit.
Once you have your learner’s permit you are then tasked with driving practice to acquire the skills to drive and pass the skills test or the driving test.
- You ALWAYS have to have a licensed driver 21 and up in the seat next to you.
- You must log 50 hours of driving practice with 10 hours being at night.
Learner’s Permit Restrictions
– For the first 3 months you can only drive when it is light out. After that you can practice until 10PM.
Once you have your Learner’s Permit you have to follow these restrictions and meet these requirements.
- Must have your learner’s Permit for 12 months before taking your driving skills test.
- Must be 16
- Must complete your 50 hours of driving practice, 10 hours needs to be done at night.
- No citations
- Make an appointment to take your Skills Test, or the driving portion of your test, at the DMV.
- The vehicle you take to the test must be all legit. Registration, insurance, have everything working like lights and blinkers. The examiner will run you through a quick check before you begin.
- You will need your documents again.
Graduated Driver’s Licenses for 16 and 17 year old.
As a teenager you have a driver’s license but it is what is called a restricted driver’s license. You can’t just drive whenever and however you want.
16 years old
You are not allowed to drive late at night (11pm – 6am) unless you have an employment waiver or you are accompanied by a licensed driver 21 or up.
17 year old
You have similar restrictions but they open up a little. You can not driver between 1am and 5 am unless you have a work waiver or are with a licensed adult.